Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Thought on Kids


I expect there will be several posts on this topic.  I imagine all of Caroline's friends who  have kids would wait, like we did, for pearls of wisdom about how to raise children to fall from her lips. 

This post come courtesy  Jenny Madeline, a friend of Caroline's from from College:
"I learned many things from Caroline over the years.  But one of the most memorable things, which I put to use daily, is that she taught me not to compare my daughter to anyone else's children.  That it is neither fair to her, nor me for that matter.  I called Caroline constantly when I first had Elsa.  Her practical advice from breastfeeding issues to how to handle intercontinental plane trips was invaluable.  But not comparing Elsa to others really resonated.  Of course, I had read not to do this but the way Caroline phrased it made it seem so common sense."
This is great advice.  For everyone, not just parents with kids.  I bet there are times we all could use a reminder not to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment